Sunday, November 8, 2009

Random Stuff from Last Six Months

The main Ancient Scripts website is extremely neglected to say the least. Sad thing is that I have a lot of new content in the pipeline, but it's hard to find the necessary time to get it all done and polished for prime time. So until I'm satisfied, here is a preview.

One thing in the pipeline is a page about quipu, the ancient South American accounting system using knots on a rope that may or may not be a real writing system. In a nutshell, quipu is a base-10 numerical system where each "digit" is a group of knots. The number of knots in a group determines its "digit" value. For example, three knots would represent 3. Also, different kinds of knots had different functions. I replicated quipu knots on some kitchen twines, as illustrated below.



More interesting than practicing tying knots is some recent research suggesting that more than just numerical information is encoded in quipu. There is evidence of place names in quipus marking its geographic origin. And more controversially is the claim that quipu could represent language and thus represented a true writing system. For more details, though, you'll have to wait for the page to be finished.

Other things in the pipeline include some new content about Tangut (Xixia), Teotihuacan, rovas, and revision of existing content such as Chinese, Tifinagh, and cuneiform.

Talking about cuneiforms, a little while ago I was driving through Sonoma county (aka wine country) here in Northern California and I saw this on the corner of my eye. I had to make a U-Turn to take this picture:



Surprisingly, the Sumerian cuneiform signs for EN-KI-DU are correct. Apparently it is a local Sonoma winery. I've never heard of it, but then again, I'm not a big drinker and there are several dozens if not hundreds of wineries in the wine country.

And, no, I did not stop for wine tasting.

Finally, I'm a big foodie, and one of my favorite "celebrity" chefs that I follow on Twitter is Rick Bayless, the chef/owner of Frontera Grill and Topolobambo in Chicago, both of which serve Mexican faire. Recently he opened a new restaurant called Xoco (pronounced sho-ko) which means little sister in modern Mexican slang but has a very ancient etymology in Nahuatl. So I made a little explanation of this word and how it would've been written in Aztec hieroglyphs and tweeted it to him. He found this little chart really cool.



All this thanks to the new Aztec syllabary (per Alfonson Lacadena) which I'll be adding to the Aztec page soon...ish.

I hope there's enough nuggets in this post to keep you from thinking that Ancient Scripts is dead.

17 comments:

  1. This was a fantastic article. Really loved reading your we blog post. The information was very informative and helpful for What is Apple Ibeacon?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This can be a great sound judgment post. Worthwhile one who is merely seeking the means relating to this element. It's going to undoubtedly help teach me personally. Teambuilding

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading your post and found it to be informative and to the topic. Thank you for not rambling on and on just to fill the page. Thanks..halong bay cruises

    ReplyDelete
  4. This can be a great sound judgment post. Worthwhile one who is merely seeking the means relating to this element. It's going to undoubtedly help teach me personally. halong tours

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marketing Programs is the world's leading Marketing Platform - providing marketing strategy and business development strategy to small and medium businesses worldwide

    ReplyDelete
  6. Forte schools offer a FREE trial Piano classes Sydney for classes and some offer a Free Trial private lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want you to thank for your time of this wonderful read!!! I definitely enjoy every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff of your blog a must read blog!www.postings.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. My business is your doleful centered business among this fillet serene and hoist an particular developing your ranch to aid iridescence hesitate your enormous attention.pool├╝berdachungen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Regards for your reviewed arrangement! My admit admit mate along catalog arrangement in ordain to i obligatory status my hold guarantee in addition i favorite receive smaller that could, an appropriate atomic inception fabricate upwards an fabulous director.contract management

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is precisely what I am lookng touching deem to place our system to me! Anyone enact skilled few incredible vacancy. The brother is absolutely apropos in ilk to our advice currently, races I am really religious in kind to balance about the image. Blesss amid deem to enormous proceeds.personal injury lawyers West Palm Beach

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice Info! It seems that almost all of the kids toys made for little kids these days are interactive. e-learning platform

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is really a nice and informative, containing all information and also has a great impact on the new technology. Thanks for sharing it conveyancing comparison

    ReplyDelete
  13. Humans and cats have lived as companions for many centuries. They’ve been the subject of poems, movies, and poems. It’s clear why this is; cats believe they feel that they’re in charge.yacht rental miami

    ReplyDelete
  14. The way you process to get new sales will helps to search new social ideas to apply for great help to save your media assistant. And they help greatly to click the right terms.Toronto Limo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Selected 3 areas in this article are completely the most suitable we have had.rent a yacht in maimi

    ReplyDelete
  16. It was wondering if I could use this write-up on my other website, I will link it back to your website though.Great Thanks.airport car service Greenwich ct

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great website. It is indeed a good journal for new fashion news and upcoming events.home builder advertising

    ReplyDelete